Wednesday, November 21, 2007

End of the 12-Week Semester

The end of the 12-Week Semester was marked by an upsurge of final assignments and final exams. The final classes were on Friday the 16th. All students are given at least Saturday to study for the finals, which began on Sunday and run through Tuesday. Wednesday was the first day of a full week of Thanksgiving break.

The 12-Week 3-Week semester scheme works very naturally into the school year. We have 12-Weeks of three (or more) classes from the end of summer until Thanksgiving. Next we have 1 class for the 3 Weeks from the end of Thanksgiving until we break for the Winter holidays. Then the Spring 12-Week begins again in January and ends shortly after Spring Break. After a brief term break we begin the final 3-Week, which ends of course with the beginning of summer.

I was rather lucky with my finals this semester. My Freshman Colloquium professor decided to have a final test in class rather than a normal exam, and my Philosophy professor opted to give us two papers to write instead of an exam. My piano lessons and African Ensemble do not have exams since they are 1 credit hour pass/fail classes. So I only had one exam, for my Introduction to Literary Studies class. The exam was pretty straightforward, I thought. First, we had an objective matching section on paper, and parts two and three were short answer and essay response, completed on computer (those who didn't have laptops were able to use computers in the English building, Bonney Castle). I must say, that was perhaps the most comfortable exam I've ever sat in: for part two, we were allowed to sit in any little nook in Bonney castle. I chose an armchair in the sitting room, where there was a little coffee table to set my books on.

And now we have a nice, relaxing week off before the 3-week begins!

No comments: