Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Mission Finding Wen

The moment I and several of my future classmates have been waiting for has finally arrived: we received email notifications of where we are staying on campus (which somebody had already figured out how to find online) and who our roommates are (which everybody has tried unsuccessfully to find out until now).

I was pleasantly surprised to find out that I will be sharing a room with an international student, Wen Hao Li, who lives in China. I'm very excited about this because I am always looking for opportunities to learn about other cultures.

I have been on pins and needles lately, wishing to know who my roommate is, so that I can get in tough with him to find out who is bringing what, so that we don't end up cluttering ourselves out of the 11.5' X 13.5' dorm room. But I think it's safe to assume that Wen isn't bringing any large appliances, since it would be both difficult and expensive to fly, say, a dorm-size fridge overseas. So I don't think I have to worry about what not to buy any more, but I still want to get in touch with Wen before we start college.

I am not sure if Wen has his college email yet, since students get that at orientation, and international students have orientation right before everybody else moves in... so I have no idea whether or not Wen has received my email yet. The email included his address and phone number. I'd love to send him a letter snail-mail, but I'm not sure how long it would take to reach him. As for the phone number, I will have to try calling from work, which has free phone connectons through the internet, but I will have to time it right with the 12 hour time difference.

Also, I'm not sure if he is returning home for the breaks. It is very expensive, after all, to fly these days. My family is willing to have him over for the holidays, since we live only 45 minutes or so from campus, and we have extra rooms now.

So, this has become my new mission: finding Wen.

No comments: