Monday, September 3, 2007

Weekend Update

After not having a weekend for over a week, it was very refreshing to have a 3-day weekend for Labor Day. Many students went home for the weekend, which kind of gave everything a rather subdued atmosphere here. Everything is better when everyone is here and there is something to do (for example one party was postponed simply because there were not enough students here).

I had to go home for the weekend to accept a small community scholarship (to any high school senior reading this, seek out every opportunity for scholarships you can! Sure, it gets annoying filling out so many applications and writing essays over and over, but it's worth it, even the little ones really help, from tuition to books, etc.

Saturday night I was bored so I went to go see the last showing of the play True West. I saw it opening night as an assignment for my Colloquium class and I thought it was a really great production. It starts out slow, as if it won't go anywhere, but it gets insanely hilarious and the entire set gets demolished during the play. Lots of raucous fun including a scene where one character takes a golf club to a typewriter (this last time he was so forceful that one of the keys flew out at me in the fifth row! I felt like a concert-goer catching a guitar pick, haha, but then I get excited about that sort of thing...)

After the play was over, I decided to help the cast and crew "strike the set." I had met most of the kids a year ago when I spent a night at Hiram. (Another side note: one of the best ways to figure out if a college is really the right institution for you is to spend a night there. It really helped me make my decision!) I never realized how much construction goes into plays! We completely dismantled the set, and I found out how much construction goes into each production. People usually think of theater as just a soft hobby but there is a lot of fun construction work involved. I got a nice cut across one of my fingers tearing up the floor tiles, large enough to warrant a band-aid. I felt inducted into the group, but then I get excited about that sort of thing, remember?

Around 10:30 we finished and left for the Steak n Shake in Aurora at about 11. Midnight food runs aren't uncommon at college, and they are a great deal of fun!

The next day I left for home! There was a fun little festival in the neighborhood and the best fireworks display ever. Then today we had a Labor Day picnic with all of the neighbors, which was very nice. Then a short evening drive and I'm back on campus at nine.

No comments: